Members of Gina K's Design Team have come together to host a hop with cards and projects featuring a masculine theme … just in time for Father’s Day!
I made a tumbled tile coaster for a Father’s Day gift –- I thought one of the lighthouses and seagulls from Theresa Momber’s By The Sea set would be perfect for a masculine themed occasion!
Stamping and coloring with your Copic markers onto tiles is quite easy. Just follow these general guidelines:
- Before stamping, clean the tile with a damp cloth and let dry thoroughly. Tiles will usually have a white chalky dust on them.
- Choose a stamp with not too much detail to it – i.e. not a lot of stamped lines.
- The best stamping ink I’ve found to work well, be permanent and moisture-resistant when using the tile as a coaster, is StazOn.
- After stamping, heat set the StazOn with your heat embossing tool/gun.
- Yes, you can use Copic markers (even pigment-rich red!) with the StazOn. Once heat set, the ink doesn’t react as much to the Copic marker, but you’ll also want to be careful and try not to color over the stamped lines very much, if at all.
- Copic ink will be permanent on the tile, but can still be "erased" and/or moved around with Copic Colorless Blender.
- Color small areas at a time and after coloring, use a cotton swab or tissue to buff away any oily/shiny Copic ink residue you may see on the surface of the tile. This will also help to buff away any possible streaking that may occur, since the Copic ink soaks into the surface of the tile and dries quickly.
- Use the back side of the tile to test inks and Copic colors -- then cover up your testing with a piece of cork sheet! This will help protect furniture surfaces, too!
- I don't seal my tiles when using them for coasters, so they will still absorb water.
Here are the Copic colors I used:
The sentiment is from another one of Theresa's sets, Follow Your Dreams. For the last step, I used Memento Desert Sand ink and a Jumbo Dauber to age the edges of the tile a little. This also helped to bring out the natural veining in the tile (which I love!) and help create a lighter "halo" radiating out from the lighthouse and onto the sentiment.
And there you go -- an easy-peasy quick masculine gift! Now head on over to Theresa Momber’s blog to see the fabulous project she has to share with you today!
Stamps: Gina K Designs By The Sea (lighthouse & birds) & Follow Your Dreams (sentiment) by Theresa Momber
Ink: Tsukineko Jet Black StazOn, Memento Desert Sand
Copic Markers: R22, R24, G82, C3, C5, E33, Y21
Accessories: Tsukineko Jumbo Dauber, Bottichino 4”x4” tumbled tile (unglazed)